Hearty Vegetable Soup
This is a delicious way to use up bits of vegetables and herbs you have in the fridge or freezer, even the ones that are wilted.
What you’ll need
- Sharp knife
- Large stockpot
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Onion large, diced
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 2 Potatoes medium, diced
- 3 Tomatoes chopped
- 4 cups Vegetables such as carrot, zucchini or yellow squash, bell pepper, celery, asparagus, corn, peas, okra, green beans, spinach, kale, mushrooms, cabbage, or lima beans; chopped, fresh, frozen, or canned
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth
- 2 cups Water
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- 1/2 Lemon juiced
- In a stock pot, sauté the onion and celery (if using) in the olive oil until golden. Add garlic and cumin and cook a minute longer.
- Add the potatoes (and any root vegetables such as carrots), tomatoes, broth, water, and oregano. Bring to a boil and simmer until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the other vegetables and simmer until everything is soft.
- Stir in lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Soup keeps in fridge for 3 days and freezes well.
- Fresh tomatoes can be substituted with one (14.5-oz.) can of chopped tomatoes.
- Try at least three different kinds of vegetables in this recipe.